Meritropolis by Joel Ohman -A Review-

23208521

So I got this book in paperback for free from a Goodreads giveaway. I intend on reading it and reviewing it (Though Goodreads does not require you to do so when you win a giveaway, but it ups your chances in winning more giveaways and it just seems like the right thing to do when getting a book for free!)

Title: Meritropolis

Author: Joel Ohman

Series: ?

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/150018960X/ref=x_gr_w_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwgoodco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=150018960X&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Summary: The year is AE3, 3 years after the Event. Within the walls of Meritropolis, 50,000 inhabitants live in fear, ruled by the brutal System that assigns each citizen a merit score that dictates whether they live or die. Those with the highest scores thrive, while those with the lowest are subject to the most unforgiving punishment--to be thrust outside the city gates, thrown to the terrifying hybrid creatures that exist beyond.

But for one High Score, conforming to the System just isn't an option. Seventeen-year-old Charley has a brother to avenge. And nothing--not even a totalitarian military or dangerous science--is going to stop him.

Where humankind has pushed nature and morals to the extreme, Charley is amongst the chosen few tasked with exploring the boundaries, forcing him to look deep into his very being to discern right from wrong. But as he and his friends learn more about the frightening forces that threaten destruction both without and within the gates, Meritropolis reveals complexities they couldn't possibly have bargained for.

Review:

Currently on page 42/chapter 4.
Here are my first impressions:
* Well written, though every now and again sentence flow is a little off.
* The soft copy design of the novel and the way this is edited makes it obvious that it is a self published novel. If I were to give the design and editing a rating it would probably be a 2/5.
* The author writes action scenes really well.
* The plot is engaging and pulls the reader in.
* The title of the book is jarring because it is hard to pronounce, or I'm not sure how to pronounce it. I keep saying "Metropolis." and when I try and pronounce it how it is written, I stumble over the word and it makes me pause in my reading.

Currently on page 58/chapter 6.
More impressions:
* While the idea behind the plot itself is engaging and it pulled me in at chapter 1, I'm finding this is going too slow. I'm bored at this point.
* There are too many characters and POV changing in each chapter.
* I don't like Charley so far.
* There is a character who is described as having an ugliness with a hardness to it, an almost animalistic quality that seemed wild and menacing -inhuman. Then it goes on to say that his most amazing quality is his smile - it could melt paint off of walls. It was so pure and bursting with child-like goodwill.... I like the way the author describes this guy, but at the same time, the way it is worded in the book sounds a little funny. The above description is not quoted word for word.
* Overall, I think this has promise. I'm not far in, so it could go either way. With a second or even third revision, this could come out as being a really great novel.

Status: Finished

I did like the novel. There were some interesting twists and turns. The characters grow on you after a while and even though I feel like this needs a lot of revision and tightening up, I would give this a three star rating. As it is, it is pretty great for a self published novel.

Would I recommend it? Not quite yet. It needs more work.